Facebook Has Added 7 Users a Second for the Last 1,001 Days (and other fun facts)
Here at XA.net/optim.al we’ve been tracking Facebook user growth across a number of dimensions for almost 4 years. I noticed we had done a recent 90-day measurement of growth and then also happened to have a measurement from April 1st, 2009 which is 1,001 days from 12/28/2011 and so, as the New Year and 2012 beckon, we put together this little compendium of facts and figures about Facebook’s user growth.
For the past 1,001 days, Facebook has:
- Added an average of 7 users per second or roughly 600,000 per day / 609 million
- Shown astonishing growth in the developing world, with Brazil and India standing out tremendously…
- Been HUGE in Brazil, which has added 34.8 million users or about 1,447 per hour, with 7.2 million being added in the last 90 days for an even faster rate of 3,343 per hour, on average, or about 0.93 per second. In the last 3 months through 12/28/11, 19% of all users that Facebook has been adding have been from Brazil even though it still only makes up 4.4% of Facebook’s total audience
- Exploded in India, adding 39.7 million user accounts, including almost 5 million in the last 90 days. This means that in the last three months 2,304 users have joined every hour or about 0.64 per second which is the second biggest growth contributor to Facebook. Of all the users joining Facebook since late September, 13% of them are from India. The but here is that although this equates to only 3.4% of India’s total population, Internet penetration is still quite low in the country comparatively speaking (61.4mm in 2009 by the CIA’s count) – but but this also gives a clue as to how growth numbers might be affected were China’s 400 million-plus Internet users actually accessible to Facebook in the future.
- Shown slowing growth overall, with those 7 users per second average increasing from (4/2009 – 11/2009) 6.96/second to (11/2009-7/2010) 8.39/second to (7/2010-3/2011) 7.02/second to (3/2011 to 9/2011) 6.44/second finally to (9/2011 to 12/2011) just 5.00 per second.
- Added over 97 million users in the United States. Nonetheless, while it is the largest Facebook country in the world with 155.7 million users, or about 19.7% of the total FB population, in the last 90 days it has accounted for just 4% of the users added to Facebook. In fact, India and Brazil together have added more users than the other top 32 countries including the US have added combined.